- Mathematical Knowledge Forum Communities: A Proposed Study in Geometric Learning, Concreteness Fading and Graphical Literacy. Stacy Costa, University of Toronto.
- Symmetric Knowledge Advancement: Creating Knowledge Building Culture in Upper Grand District School Board. Derya Kici, University of Toronto.
- Scaffolding historical inquiry through a collaborative maker-based activity. Benjamin Lille, Université Laval, Margarida Romero, Université Nice Sophia Antipolis.
Fostering College Students’ Design Thinking via Knowledge-Building Activities. Pei-Yi Lin, University of Toronto, Huang-Yao Hong, National Chengchi University, Taiwan, & Ching Sing Chai, National Institute of Education, Singapore.
- Akuttujuuk: Knowledge Building for Bilingual Education in Inuit Nunangat. Alexander McAuley, University of Prince Edward Island.
Transforming practice from the middle: Middle-managers leading KB Practice. Shahizah Bte Mohd, PingYi Secondary School, Teo Chew Lee, MOE Singapore.
- Iterative Assessment Cycle Powered by Teachers and AI. Hajime Shirouzu, Moegi Saito, Shinya Iikubo, & Takahiro Nakayama, CoREF, University of Tokyo.
- Tracing the Inquiry of an Opportunistic Group in a Grade 5 Knowledge Building Community. Yan Tian, Jianwei Zhang, State University of New York at Albany.
- A Review of Assessment Tools of Knowledge Building: Towards the Norm of Embedded and Transformative Assessment. Gaoxia Zhu, University of Toronto, Mi Song Kim, Western University.
Toward Pervasive Knowledge Building–Mobile Devices for Creating Meaningful Math around Our Everyday Lives. Joel Wiebe, University of Toronto.
- Reflective Structuration of Knowledge Building Practices with Idea Thread Mapper. Jianwei Zhang, Dan Tao, Mei-Hwa Chen, Yanqing Sun, Darlene Judson, University at Albany, SUN, Sarah Naqvi, Dr. Eric Jackman Institute of Child Study, University of Toronto.
How Did a Grade 5 Community Co-Structure Driving Questions for Knowledge Building about Ecosystems? He Zhou, Jianwei Zhang, State University of New York at Albany.
Curriculum-based lexical analysis for informing pedagogical decision-making, scaffolding and assessment processes. Christian Perreult, Thérèse Laferrière, Université Laval.
Cross-Classroom Interaction: Connecting the “Science Bubbles” of Four Grade 5 Knowledge Building Communities. Guangji Yuan, Jianwei Zhang, State University of New York at Albany.
- Symmetrical Advancement: Teachers and Students Sustaining Idea-Centered Collaborative Practices. Keynote presentation. Chew Lee Teo.
- Collective Knowledge Advancement and Conceptual Understanding of Complex Scientific Concepts in the Jigsaw Instruction. Jun Oshima, Yuki Yamada, Ritsuko Oshima, Shizuoka University.
- Cross-Community Interaction for Knowledge Building in Two Grade 5/6 Classrooms. Jianwei Zhang, State University of New York at Albany, Maria Bogoulavsky, University of Toronto, Guangxi Yuan, State University of New York at Albany.
- Exploring Computational Modeling Environments as Tools to Structure Classroom-Level Knowledge Building. Michelle Wilkerson, Becca Shareff, University of California, Berkeley, Brain Gravel, Yara Shaban, Tufts University, Vasiliki Laina, University of California, Berkeley.
- Using Rotating Leadership to Visualize Students’ Epistemic Agency and Collective Responsibility for Knowledge Advancement. Leanne Ma, University of Toronto, Samuel Tan, Chew Lee Teo, Muhamad Ansar B. Kamsan, Ministry of Education, Singapore.
CSCL2017 – Making a Difference: Prioritizing Equity and Access in CSCL. Philadelphia, PA, USA. Link to Vol. 2 with following papers:
- Newcomer Integration Strategies in Blogger Online Knowledge Building Communities: A Dialog Analysis. Nicolae Nistor, Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität München, Germany, Yvonne Serafin, Armed Forces University, Munich, Germany.
- Productive Knowledge Building Discourse Through Student- Generated Questions. Ahmad Khanlari, Monica Resendes, Gaoxia Zhu, Marlene Scardamalia, University of Toronto.
- The Digital Use Divide and Knowledge Building. Thérèse Laferrière, Laval University, Alain Breuleux, McGill University.
- A Preliminary Study of University Students’ Collaborative Learning Behavior Patterns in the Context of Online Argumentation Learning Activities: The Role of Idea-Centered Collaborative Argumentation Instruction. Ying-Tien Wu, Li-Jen Wang, Teng-Yao Cheng, National Central University, Taiwan.
- Reflective Structuration of Knowledge Building Practices in Grade 5 Science: A Two-Year Design-Based Research. Dan Tao, Jianwei Zhang, University at Albany, State University of New York, Dandan Gaoxia, East China Normal University, China.
- How Did a Grade 5 Science Community Co-Construct Collective Structures of Inquiry? Dan Tao, Jianwei Zhang, University at Albany, State University of New York.
- Evaluating the Distribution of Students’ Contributions in Theorizing: Idea Evenness in Knowledge Building Communities. Gaoxia Zhu, Marlene Scardamalia, Ahmad Khanlari, and Haipeng Wan, University of Toronto.
- Fostering a Knowledge Building Community in a Primary Social Studies Class to Develop Humanistic View on Real World Problem. Andy Ng Ding Xuan, St. Hilda Primary School, Chew Lee Teo, MOE Singapore, Zaire Mohd Sedik, And Mo Kio Primary School, Lee Yu Ling, National Institute of Education, Singapore.
- Toward a Multi-Level Knowledge Building Innovation Network. Symposia. Marlene Scardamalia, Carl Bereiter and Thérèse Laferrière (co-chairs).
- Making a Difference: Analytics for Quality Knowledge-Building Conversations. Symposia. Frank de Jong (chair organizer).
- Scripted and Unscripted Aspects of Creative Work With Knowledge. Symposia. Carl Bereiter, University of Toronto, Ulrike Cress, Leibniz-Institut für Wissensmedien (Knowledge Media Research Center), Tuebingen, Germany, Frank Fischer, Ludwig Maximilians University, Kai Hakkarainen, University of Helsinki, Marlene Scardamalia, University of Toronto, Freydis Vogel, University of Munich.
- Transformational Change in Humanistic Learning Communities: A Case Study of Person- and Idea-Centered Integration. (Poster). Yotam Hod and Dani Ben-Zvi, University of Haifa.
- Exploring Ways of Contributing to Math Talk in a Knowledge Building Community. Poster. Stacy A. Costa, Marlene Scardamalia, University of Toronto.
- Bridging Students’ Practical and Formal Epistemology of Science Through Epistemic Reflection Embedded in a Computer-Supported Knowledge-Building Environment. Poster. Feng Lin, University of Wisconsin-Madison, Carol K.K. Chan, The University of Hong Kong.
- Individual Role-Based Profiles for Successful Team Engagement in Knowledge Building Environments. Poster. Ahmad Khanlari, Monica Resendes, Marlene Scardamalia & Gaoxia Zhu, University of Toronto.
- Misconceptions and Their Evolution in Knowledge Building Communities. Poster. Ahmad Khanlari, Carl Bereiter, and Marlene Scardamalia, University of Toronto.
- Networks in Small-Group Structure in Knowledge Building Discourse. Poster. Xueqi Feng, Jan van Aalst, Carol K.K. Chan, The University of Hong Kong, Yuqin Yang, Central China Normal University.
- Asking Semantically Similar Questions in Knowledge Building Communities: Patterns and Effects. Poster. Gaoxia Zhu, Monica Resendes, Ahmad Khanlari, Marlene Scardamalia, University of Toronto, Ying-Tien Wu, National Central University, Taiwan.
- Examining Regulation of Idea Improvement and Knowledge Advances in a Principle-based Knowledge Building Environment. Poster. Yuyao Tong, Carol K.K. Chan, Jan van Aalst, Run Liu, The University of Hong Kong.
- Epistemic Understanding of Discourse and Collective Responsibility in a Knowledge Building Community. Poster. Yuyao Tong, Carol K.K. Chan, Jan van Aalst, The University of Hong Kong.
2016 Knowledge Building Summer Institute: Multi-Level Knowledge Innovation Networks, Singapore.
- Teachers’ Understanding of Knowledge Creation: A Phenomenography of Singapore Chinese Language Teachers. Yuh Huann Tan, Seng Chee Tan.
- A Model of Fostering Collective Responsibility in a Knowledge Building Community. Gaoxia Zhu, Marylou Kestell, Leanne Ma & Emmanuel Rutayisire
- Facilitating Students’ Scientific Inquiry Through Knowledge Building. Pei Jung Li, Ching Sing Chai, Huang-Yao Hong
- “If you don’t tell us, how can we know what we are supposed to do?” Dan Tao, Jianwei Zhang
- Fostering Students’ Epistemic Beliefs and Scientific Understanding through Knowledge Building. Lillian Liu Kun, Carol K.K. Chan, Selma Yuxuan Wang
- Misconceptions and Conceptual Change in Knowledge Building Environments. Ahmad Khanlari, Carl Bereiter, Marlene Scardamalia
- Large scale principle-based transformations with embedded knowledge building processes. Cesar Nunes, Telma Vinha
- WordWhispers: A Tool for Bootstrapping Vocabulary Development in Knowledge-building Communities, Bodong Chen, Xing Liu
- Examining Regulation of Knowledge Advancement Using Portfolio Assessment. Cindy Yuyao Tong, Carol Chan, Jan van Aalst
- Effects of New Literacies on College English in an Asian Cultural Setting. Diane Hui
- The Need for Systems Thinking to Build Cultural Capacity for Innovation Throughout School Education. Niall Mackinnon
- Exploring Students’ Ideas about Discourse and Chinese Text Reading in a Knowledge-Building Environment. Selma Yuxuan Wang, Carol K.K. Chan and Lillian Kun Liu
ICSL 2016: Transforming Learning, Empowering Learners, Singapore. Link to Vol. 1 with following papers:
- Beyond Tried and True: The Challenge of Education for Innovation. Symposia. Carl Bereiter, Marlene Scardamalia, Thérèse Laferrière, Linda Massey, Bruce W. Shaw, Shirleen Chee, Seng Chee Tan, Chew Lee Teo, David Istance.
- Idea Identification and Analysis (I2A): A Search for Sustainable Promising Ideas Within Knowledge-Building Discourse. Vwen Yen Alwyn Lee, Seng Chee Tan, Joon Kit Kelvin Chee
- Teacher Learning in a Professional Learning Community: Potential for Dual-layer Knowledge Building. Seng Chee Tan, Shien Chu, Chew Lee Teo.
- How a 6th Grade Classroom Develops Epistemologies for Building Scientific Knowledge. Christina Krist.
- The Epistemology of Science and the Epistemology of Science Teaching. Carl Bereiter.
- Community Knowledge, Collective Responsibility: The Emergence of Rotating Leadership in Three Knowledge Building Communities. Leanne Ma, Yoshiaki Matsuzawa, Bodong Chen, Marlene Scardamalia
- Design Collaborative Formative Assessment for Sustained Knowledge Building Using Idea Thread Mapper. Jingping Chen, Jianwei Zhang
- Fostering More Informed Epistemic Views Among Students Through Knowledge Building. Huang-Yao Hong, Bodong Chen, Chin-Chung Tsai, Chiu Pin Lin, Ying-Tien Wu
- Fostering Collaborative Learning Through Knowledge Building Among Students With Low Academic Achievement. Yuqin Yang, Jan van Aalst, Carol K. K. Chan
- Learning Environments to Facilitate Students’ Regulation in Knowledge Building. Jin Michael Splichal, Jun Oshima, Ritsuko Oshima
- Teacher Noticing Associated With Responsive Support of Knowledge Building. Darlene Judson.
- From Belief Mode to Design Mode: Report on a Chinese 6th Graders’ Interdiscipline on Traffic Control. Yibing Zhang, Yao Liu.
- Becoming a Teacher Who Takes an Inquiry Stance. Nastasia Lawton-Sticklor, Katerine Bielaczyc
- Refinement of Semantic Network Analysis for Epistemic Agency in Collaboration. Jun Oshima, Ritsuko Oshima, Wataru Fujita
- Knowledge Building and Conversational Functions in Online Interactions: A Coding Scheme. Stefano Cacciamani, Vittore Perrucci, Ahmad Khanlari
- Effects of Knowledge Building Pedagogy on High School Students’ Learning Perception and English Composition Performance. I-Ting Yang, Hsien-Ta Lin, Ching-Hua Wang, Pei-Jung Li, Huang-Yao Hong.
- Effects of Knowledge Building Activities on Student’ Writing Performance. Ching Hua Wang, Hsien-Ta Lin, Pei-Jung Li, I-Ting Yang, Huang-Yao Hong
- Collaborative Knowledge Networks to Facilitate Knowledge Building in Robotics: A Longitudinal Study. Ahmad Khanlari, Marlene Scardamalia.
- A Tri-Level Partnership to Support and Spread Knowledge Building in Ontario. Monica Resendes, Marlene Scardamalia, Mary Cordeiro, Linda Massey, Karen Dobbie, Lindsay Sirois
- Building Sustained, Knowledge Creating Networks in Education. Monica Resendes, Marlene Scardamalia, Mary Cordeiro, Linda Massey, Karen Dobbie, Lindsay Sirois
- Collective Regulation of Idea Improvement in Knowledge Building Discourse. Chunlin Lei, Carol K. K. Chan
- Impact of Theory Improvement and Collective Responsibility for Knowledge Advancement on the Nature of Student Questions. Ahmad Khanlari, Marlene Scardamalia, Derya Kici, Suresh Tharuma
- Refashioning Education as a Knowledge Creating Enterprise: Growing Capacity for Knowledge Building in a Grade 1 Math Class. Cindi Chisholm, Heather Fleming, Lizanne Lacelle, Monica Resendes, Marlene Scardamalia.
- Creating Knowledge Building Communities: Three Case Studies at the Classroom, School and Board Level. Monica Resendes, Marlene Scardamalia, Karen Dobbie, Jason Frenza, Emma Nichols, Ross Edgar, Francis Noventa, Linda Massey, Mary Cordeiro.
- Knowledge Building Pedagogy and Technology: Enacting Principle-Based Design in History Classroom. Melvin Chan, Chew Lee Teo, Yu Ling Lee
- Understanding Teacher’s Principle-Based Practice in Sustaining Knowledge Building Practice in a Science Classroom. Mohd Noor Hishamuddin Haslir, Chew Lee Teo, Shahizha Bte Mohd, Yu Ling Lee.
- Knowledge Building for Students With Low Academic Achievement. Bing-fai Lee, Carol K.K. Chan, Jan van Aalst.
2014 Knowledge Building Summer Institute: Building Knowledge in an Open Informational World. Quebec City, Canada. Link to .pdf doc with the following papers:
- Étude exploratoire de la communauté de pratique des enseignants de l’École en réseau (CoPÉER). Pier-Ann Boutin, Christine Hamel.
- Role taking and Knowledge Building: An examination of reading and writing activities in a blended higher education course. Donatella Cesareni, Stefano Cacciamani, Nobuko Fujita
- La dimension émotive-motivationnelle des étudiants dans une knowledge building community à l’école. Idalissa Cingolani.
- Evaluation of a Knowledge Building Classroom in Aspect of Transactional Distance Theory. Derya Kici, Handi Erkunt.
- Sociocultural Analysis of a Knowledge Building Classroom in Teacher Education. Derya Kici, Handi Erkunt.
- From theory to practice: Implementing knowledge building communities in secondary schools using the PROCESS model. Kwok-Wing Lai.
- Innovative Practice in Modern Languages –a flavour of knowledge building. Niall Lachlann MacKinnon.
- Connecting to the curriculum: A case study exploring the online and offline discourse of a Grade 2 knowledge building class. Monica Resendes, Derya Kici.
- Naturalistic interaction of pre-service teachers in the socio-cognitive and technological interface: Missing opportunities for critical use of online resources. Aik Ling Tan, Seng-Chee Tan.
- Leveraging Web 2.0 tools for Knowledge Building. Seng-Chee Tan.
- Analysis of Constructive Interaction using KBDeX as a Scaffold for Students’ Learning about Collaborative Learning. Sayaka Tohyama, Yoshiaki Matsuzawa, Hajime Shirouzu.
- Ongoing Metadiscourse and Reflection on Collective Knowledge Progress Fosters Sustained Knowledge Building. Jianwei Zhang, Dan Tao, Yanqing Sun, Mei-Hwa Chen, Ben Peebles, Sarah Naqvi.
ICLS2014: Learning and Becoming in Practice, Boulder, Colorado.
- Automatic Coding of Questioning Patterns in Knowledge Building Discourse. Jin Mu, Jan van Aalst, Carol K. K. Chan, Ella Fu. Link to Proceedings, Vol. 1.
- Promoting 5th Graders’ Views of Science and Scientific Inquiry in an Epistemic-Enriched Knowledge-Building Environment. Feng Lin, Carol K.K. Chan, Jan van Aalst. Link to Proceedings, Vol. 1.
- Scientific Practices Through Students’ Eyes: How Sixth Grade Students Enact and Describe Purposes for Scientific Modeling Activities Over Time. Christina Kris and Brian J. Reiser. Link to Proceedings, Vol. 1.
- Analyzing Online Knowledge-Building Discourse Using Probabilistic Topic Models. Weiyi Sun, Jianwei Zhang, Hui Jin, Siwei Liu. Link to Proceedings, Vol 2
- Linked Reading and Writing Using Wikilinking: Promoting Knowledge Building within Technology-Enhanced Classroom Learning Communities. Tamar Novik, Dani Ben-Zvi, Yotam Hod. Link to Proceedings, Vol 3.
2013 Knowledge Building Summer Institute: Crossing the Educational Chasm: From the Basics to Creative Work with Ideas. Puebla, Mexico.
- Identidad Cultural en la Educación Superior, María Eugenia Ramos Hipólito.
- Influencia del clima institucional en la conducta de los adolescentes, Ana María Hernández Reyes.
- A knowledge building journey: Reflections of New Zealand senior secondary teachers. Kwok-Wing Lai.
- “Drawing out” students’ voices: Students’ perceptions about learning science through Ideas First, a Knowledge Building approach. John Ow, Katerine Bielaczyc.
- Metadiscourse in Knowledge Building: A question about written or verbal metadiscourse. Rolf Kristian Baltzersen.
- Effect of formative feedback on enhancing Ways of Contributing to an Explanation-Seeking Dialogue in Grade 2. Monica Resendes
- Effects of different implementations of the ‘Embedded and Transformative Assessment’ principle on Knowledge Building in online university courses. Stefano Cacciamani, Vittore Perrucci
- Evaluating knowledge community curricula in secondary science using model-based design research. Alisa Acosta.
- “Napoleón era también bajo…” Lectura, escritura y orientación motivacional en una comunidad Knowledge Building de historia. Lisa Cingolani, Stefano Cacciamani.
- La importancia de las redes sociales como herramienta educativa en el centro de estudios científicos y tecnológicos no.1 nivel medio superior del Instituto Politécnico Nacional. Ranulfo Dimitri Cab, Marco Antonio Hernández.
- Responsabilidad compartida a través de la implementación de webquest en los alumnos de primer grado de Telesecundaria, Yolanda Ruiz Cervantes.
- Las TIC en educación indígena, nuevos espacios con pertinencia cultural y lingüística, Salvador Galindo.
- Construcción de artefactos conceptuales a partir de foros de discusión en línea, Oscar Ernesto Hernández López, Karen Huesca Viveros.
- Diseño y aplicación de un portal web como herramienta didáctica en la enseñanza-aprendizaje de la química en el nivel medio superior, Ariadna Berenice González Arenas, Enrique González Vergara.
- Desarrollo de habilidades de pensamiento en la formación meta cognitiva del pensamiento crítico en los estudiantes de nuevo ingreso a la Licenciatura en Educación Normal, Olga Sara Lamela Ríos.
- A Knowledge Building Discourse Analysis of Proportional Reasoning in Grade 1, Kendra Susanne Hutton, Bodong Chen, Joan Moss.
- Expanding the metadiscourse concept in knowledge building, Rolf Kristian Baltzersen.
- Farmtasia: A Case Study of Knowledge Building Processes in Game-Based Learning, Cherry Rose Tan.
- Promisingness Judgments as a Facilitator of Epistemic Growth and Conceptual Change, Bodong Chen, Jennifer González, Fernando Díaz del Castillo, Jim Slotta.
CSCL2013 – To see the world and a grain of sand: Learning across levels of space, time and scale. Madison, Wisconsin.
- Constructive Use of Authoritative Sources Among Collaborative Knowledge Builders in a Social Science Classroom. Fei-Ching Chen, Chih-Hsuan Chang, Cheng-Yu Yang. Vol. 1
- Making Collective Progress Visible for Sustained Knowledge Building. Mei-Hwa Chen, Jianwei Zhang, Jiyeon Lee. Vol. 1
- The Effect of Formative Feedback on Vocabulary Use and Distribution of Vocabulary Knowledge in a Grade Two Knowledge Building Class. Monica Resendes, Bodong Chen, Alisa Acosta, Marlene Scardamalia. Vol. 1
- Examining Dynamics of Implementing Flexible Group Discourse in a Principle-Based CSCL Environment. Tuya Siqin, Jan van Aalst, Samuel Kai Was Chu. Vol. 1
- Toward a Qualitative Approach to Examining Idea Improvement in Knowledge-building Discourse. Ella L.F. Fu, Jan van Aalst, Carol K.K. Chan. Vol. 2
- Designing Learning Environments for Knowledge Building: Inquiry Discourse of Chinese Tertiary Classes. Chunlin Lei, Carol K.K. Chan, Jan Van Aalst. Vol. 2
- Facilitating Belief Change via Computer-Supported Collaborative Knowledge-Building. Pei-Jung Li, Chih-Hsuan Chang, Huang-Yao Hong, Hsien-Ta Lin. Vol. 2
- Computer-Supported Metadiscourse to Foster Collective Progress in Knowledge-Building Communities. Jianwei Zhang, Mei-Hwa Chen, Jingping Chen, Teresa Ferrer Mico. Vol. 2
- Promisingness Judgments as Facilitators of Knowledge Building. Bodong Chen, Marlene Scardamalia, Alisa Acosta, Monica Resendes, Derya Kici. Vol. 2
- Exploring the Effect of Online Collaborative Learning on Students’ Scientific Understanding. Pei-Jung Li, Chih-Hsuan Chang, Huang-Yao Hong. Vol. 2
- Understanding the Enactment of Principle-Based Designs: Conceptualizing 331 Principle-Based Approaches as Carriers of Principles for Learning, John Ow, Sunhee Paik, Katerine Bielaczyc. Vol. 2
2012 Knowledge Building Summer Institute: Building Cultural Capacity for Innovation. Toronto, Canada.
- Using Serendipity to Advance Knowledge Building Activities. Alisa Acosta, University of Toronto, OISE.
- Bridging Technologies: Stepping-Stones for the Enactment of Knowledge Building Communities. John Ow, & Katerine Bielaczyc, Learning Science Lab, National Institute of Education, Singapore.
- Knowledge Building Pedagogy in Kindergarten, an Exploratory Study. Oscar Ernesto Hernandez Lopez, IKIT Mexico/Universidad Iberoamericana Puebla; Angela Alejandra Durana Espinosa, IKIT Mexico; Adriana Villanueva Cruz, Arelia Carrasco Gomez, Instituto Rabindranath Tagore, Puebla, Mexico.
- Fostering Constructivist-Oriented Mathematical Beliefs through Knowledge-Building. Huang-Yao Hong, National Chengchi University, Taiwan.
- Argumentation in the Science Classroom. Jennifer Gonzaalez, Fernando Diaz del Castillo, Gimnasio La Montana, Colombia.
- Meme: Conceptual Framework for Idea Improvement in Knowledge Building? Nicole Straefling, University of Duisburg-Essen, Germany; Karsten Krauskopf, Johanna Bertram, Stefan Huber, Knowledge Media Research Center, Germany; Astrid Wichmann, Ruhr University, Bochum, Germany; Jan van Aalst, University of Hong Kong; Katherine Panciera, University of Minnesota, USA; Ya Ping Hsiao, Open University of the Netherlands, Netherlands
- Knowledge Building Research in New Zealand: The Journey Begins. The Journey Begins.Kwok-Wing Lai*, Ken Pullar**, Ann Trewern*, (*University of Otago College of Education, **OtagoNet), New Zealand.
- Nature of Problem Spaces in Knowledge Building Practice. Chew Lee Teo, Ministry of Education, Singapore.
- A Principle-Based Approach to Engaging and Sustaining Teacher and Student Growth in Knowledge Building. Carol K. K. Chan, The University of Hong Kong, & Diane Hui, Lingnan University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong.
- Three stages of Knowledge Building in Grade 3 of a Chinese School: A Case Study of Water Around Us.Yibing Zhang, Nanjing Normal University, Yanqin Zhu, Nanjing Elementary School of Baiyunyuan, China. Abstract
- Exploring patterns of interaction in Knowledge Forum databases using Knowledge Connections Analyzer (KCA). Yuqin Yang, Jan van Aalst, University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong.
- Promisingness Judgments by Grade 3 and 4. Bodong Chen, Marlene Scardamalia, Monica Resendes, OISE/University of Toronto, Canada. Abstract
- Embedded and Transformative Assessment in an Online Course: A Design Based Project Research. Stefano Cacciamani, University of Valle d’Aosta, Italy.
- Unraveling Idea Development in Discourse Trajectories. Iassen Halatchliyski, Aileen Oeberst, Martina Bientzle, Franziska Bokhorst, Knowledge Media Research Center, Tuebingen, Germany; Jan van Aalst, University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong.
- The Effect of Meta-Discourse on Ways of Contributing to a Explanation-Seeking Dialogue in Grade 2. Monica Resendes, Bodong Chen, Maria Chuy, Marlene Scardamalia, University of Toronto, OISE, Canada.
- Knowledge Forum uses for the improvement of explanation skills. Christine Hamel, Laval University, & Sandrine Turcotte, Universite du Quebec en Outaouais, Canada.
- Knowledge Building in the Open: Constructing a Knowledge Building Experience on the Web. Alexander McAuley. University of Prince Edward Island, Canada.
- The Teaching of Literature in Post Secondary Education (CEGEP) and Knowledge Forum: Metacognition, Creativity and Deep Understanding. Josee Larochelle, Laval University, Canada.
- Making Collective Progress Visible: The Design and Application of Idea Thread Mapper (ITM) for Sustained Knowledge Building. Jianwei Zhang, Mei-Hwa Chen, Huixian Li, Yuheng Zhao, Jingping Chen, Baibhav Lal Rajbhandari, Yanqing Sun, Teresa Ferrer-Mico, University at Albany, State University of New York, USA & Robin Shaw, Benjamin Peebles, Julia Murray, Sarah Naqvi, Dr. Eric Jackman Institute of Child Study, University of Toronto, Canada.
2011 CSCL: Connecting computer-supported collaborative learning to policy and practice. Hong Kong, China. Proceedings, Vol 1.
- Learning Science through Knowledge-Building and Augmented Reality in Museums. Susan Yoon, Karen Elinich, Christopher Steinmeier, Joyce Wang, Sean Tucker.
- Questioning and the Quality of Knowledge Ideas in a CSCL Context: A Study on Two Age-groups of Students. Ming Lai, Nancy Law.
- Principle-Based Design for Collective Growth: From Knowledge Sharing to Explanatory Knowledge-Building Discourse. Carol Chan, Ella Fu.
- Does Contributing to a Knowledge Building Dialogue Lead to Individual Advancement of Knowledge? Maria Chuy, Jianwei Zhang, Monica Resendes, Marlene Scardamalia, Carl Bereiter
- Quantified Measures of Online Discourse as Knowledge Building Indicators. Jianwei Zhang, Yanqing Sun.
2011 CSCL: Connecting computer-supported collaborative learning to policy and practice. Hong Kong, China. Proceedings, Vol 2.
- Evaluation by Grade 5 and 6 Students of the Promisingness of Ideas in Knowledge-Building Discourse. Bodong Chen, Maria Chuy, Monica Resendes, Marlene Scardamalia, Carl Bereiter.
- Characterizing Knowledge Building Discourse. Jennifer Yeo, Jing Wu.
- Some Discourse Mechanisms for Knowledge Advancement in a CSCL Context. Ming Lai, Nancy Law.
2010 Knowledge Building Summer Institute: New Assessments and Environments for Knowledge Building, Toronto, Canada.
- The Recommend Button: An Experimental Support for the Identification of Valuable Ideas in a Knowledge Building Community. Jim Hewitt, Clare Brett
- Knowledge Building for Web 2.5: Making the transition to a networked world. Alexander McAuley & Stian Håklev
- Infusing Design Expertise in Elementary Students’ Collaborative Design Process. Pirita Satu Seitamaa-Hakkarainen.
- New Environments and Assessments for Knowledge Building: Large Size Pharmacy Classrooms. Debra Sibbald.
- Going deeper one step at a time: The development of a scientific inquiry process in a high school setting. Suzanne C. De Froy & Maria Sawicki
- A theory-building approach to the study of medieval history in grade four. Monica Resendes & Maria Chuy.
- Community Knowledge Building and Environmental Learning. John Parry.
- Knowledge Building as Developing Personal Wisdom in a High School English Class. Michel Ferrari, Joan Peskin, Anda Petro & Nic Weststrate.
- Leading in a Knowledge Society: A Teachers Journey into Medical Education. Zahra Amirali Punja.
- Knowledge Connected – Trajectories of Knowledge Building. Ola Erstad & Bente Klevenberg.
- Challenges of achievements in Knowledge Building at Prepa Ibero Puebla, the first three years. Rosa Elena Ortiz de la Fuente.
- Student communities of practice and the role of extra-curricular projects to embed informal learning experiences into higher education. Thomas Sporer & Hannah Dürnberger.
- Network Structure Analysis Approach to Knowledge Building: A Macroscopic View of Group Dynamics in Discourse. Jun Oshima, Ritsuko Oshima, Yoshiaki Matsuzawa, Jan van Aalst & Carol Chan.
- Scaffolding Reflective Assessment for Conceptual and Epistemic Changes Among Chemistry Students in Hong Kong. Ivan C.K. Lam & Carol K.K. Chan.
- An idea-centered view of representing and assessing community knowledge. Huang-Yao Hong.
- Beyond the Testing Paradigm: Towards New Assessment Measures in Knowledge Building Environments. Donald Neil Philip & Danielle Truswell.
- IRFI as a form of progressive discourse in knowledge building oriented classrooms. Thérèse Laferrière & Mary Lamon.
- Ways of contributing to a dialogue in science. Maria Chuy, Monica Resendes & Marlene Scardamalia.
- Understanding private discourse in a public online forum. Clare Brett & Jim Hewitt.
- Bringing Coherence to Knowledge Building Discussions. Jim Hewitt & Earl Woodruff.
2009 Knowledge Building Summer Institute: Knowledge Creativity in Teacher Education – Education for Knowledge Creation. Palma de Mallorca, Spain.
- Education for Knowledge Creation: Fostering Collective Cognitive Responsibility in the Nunavut Med. Alexander McAuley, Fiona Walton.
- Teacher Education and a Guided Approach for Knowledge Creation. Frank de Jong, Bert Reijnen, Peter Boshuizen.
- Knowledge Building Practices Influence Teacher-Education Students’ Epistemological Beliefs. Huang-Yao Hong, Shu-Ping Lin.
- Challenges and Opportunities When Advancing Epistemic Discourses. Suzanne De Froy, Clare Brett.
- Developing Creativity, Leadership, and Collaboration in a 1:1 Environment. Cesar Nunes, Renata Ikeda.
- Environmental Learning and Knowledge Building. John Parry.
- From Facts to Theories: A Case Study. Stefania Cucchiara, Beatrice Ligorio.
- Practices of Teacher Guidance. Marjut Viilo and Pirita Seitamaa-Hakkarainen.
- Learning and Participating Through Online Role-Taking. Paola Francesca Spadaro, Nadia Sansone, and Beatrice Ligorio.
- Start Where You Are: Exploring Offline Tools to Support Students in Creating and Working with Conceptual Artifacts. Katerine Bielaczyc, John Ow.
- Learning and Knowledge Building with web 2.0 Technologies: Implications for Teacher Education. Terry King, Emma Duke-Williams, . Glyn Mottershead.
- Knowledge Building and Writing Development. Maria Chuy, Marlene Scardamalia, and Carl Bereiter.
- Resource Use in Science Explorations by Grade 4 Students in a Primary School. Fleur Prinsen.
- Increasing Capacity for Knowledge Creation. Christian Robertson, Marlene Scardamalia, Maria Chuy, Chris Teplovs, & Monica Resendes.
- Integrated Model of Knowledge Building and Utilization for Clinical Nurses. Heather Campbell, Lianne Jeffs, and Deborah Tregunno.
- The New Curriculum Model: Review of Knowledge Building in Action at the Michener Institute for Applied Health Sciences. Sydney Redpath, Suzanne Allaire, and Ann Russell.
- The Work Disability Prevention CIHR Strategic Training Program: The Need for an International Web-based Knowledge Building Environment. Patrick Loisel.
- Educational principles and scaffolds for teacher development in the framework of Knowledge Building International Project, KBIP. Núria Batlle, Marta Blancafort, Anna Grau, Rosa Maria Lligé Jané, Anna Martí, Olga Mata, Mar Moncada, Teresa Morales and Queralt Pintó.
- The use of virtual spaces in international collective knowledge building projects for teacher professional development. Rafael Benlliure, Pere Boluda, Frank Sabaté, Josefa Sánchez.
- Intentional Knowledge Creation Leads to Deeper Approach and Strategy with More Sophisticated Epistemic Beliefs and Agency in Knowledge Building Environments. Hamdi Erkunt.
- An International Study of Motivation for Knowledge Building. Angela Chow, Mercè Bernaus, Oscar Hernandez, Joana Salazar Noguera, Robert C. Gardner, Marlene Scardamalia.
- Promoting Conceptual Change in Knowledge Building Discourse through Advancing Students’ Personal Epistemology. Johnny Yuen.
- Scientific Vocabulary Use and Indicators of Proficient Readers and Writers in the Remote Networked School Initiative. (Poster). Stéphane Allaire, Vincent Gagnon.
- Ideas First: Exploring Offline Tools to Support Students in Creating and Working with Conceptual Artifacts. (Poster). Katerine Bielaczyc, John Ow.
- Strategies to Facilitate the Exchange on the Cultural Traditions Between Students of Different Countries in a KBC Perspective. (Poster). Stefano Cacciamani, Christine Hamel, Idalisa Cingolani, Geneviève Séguin, Danièle Besner.
- Transforming Students’ View of Science Through Knowledge Building. (Poster). Huang-Yao Hong.
- Knowledge Building and Metacognitive Reflection in Online University Courses. (Poster). Stefano Cacciamani, Tiziana Ferrini.
- The Network Science Approach to Discourse Analysis. (Poster). Jun Oshima, Yusuke Niihara, Kensuke Ota, Ritsuko Oshima.
- Pedagogical Models in CSCL Appropriation: The Role of Technology and Task Design in Knowledge Creation. (Poster). Iolanda Garcia, Begoña Gros, Ingrid Noguera.
- Relating to History: Using Knowledge Building to Think and Learn about the Past. (Poster). Monica Resendes, Maria Chuy.
- Students from Mexico and Catalunya Constructed a Knowledge Building Community. (Poster). Oscar Ernesto Hernandez Lopez, Merce Bernaus, , and Angela Alejandra Durana Espinosa.
2007 Knowledge Building Summer Institute: Building Knowledge for Deep Understanding
- Deeper understanding on different levels, Bert Reijnen.
- What makes a professional community innovative? Jianwei Zhang.
- Patterns of discourse for improving knowledge building practice, Chew Lee Teo.
- Using knowledge building principles as evaluation and design rubrics for the continuing education and professional development curriculum at the Faculty of Medicine UofT, Ann Russell.
- Knowledge building and gender: Are there differences in knowledge building behaviours along gender lines? Don Philip.
- Addressing gender gap in literacy through knowledge building, Yanqing Sun.
- Social position in a knowledge building community, Stefano Cacciamani.
- The artifact project History, science & design inquiry in technology enhanced learning at the elementary level, Pirita Seitamaa-Hakkarainen.
- COFFEE: A software to blend face-to-face and written communication in collaborative problem solving-based scenarios, Beatrice Ligorio.
- Of joy and responsibility of coming to understand: Transforming from burden to power, Hamdi Erkunt.
- Complex network theory approach to the assessment on collective knowledge advancement in CSCL, Jun Oshima.
- The Knowledge Society Network as a self-organizing network-of-networks, Huang-Yao Hong.
- Using key terms to measure and visually represent community knowledge, Huang-Yao Hong.
- From pre-service to classroom teaching: A five year longitudinal study investigating the practice of progressive problem solving and innovation, Suzanne DeFroy.
- The development of teacher professional identity through participation in a knowledge building community (in progress), Thérèse Laferrière.
- Designing social infrastructure: Examining the ways that teachers create knowledge building classrooms, Kate Bielaczyc.
- Growth in teacher knowledge: A principle-based design experiment, Richard Reeve.
- Teachers’ understanding of KB in an emerging community, Carol Chan.
- Principle-based design of technology use to support community knowledge-building, Huang-Yao Hong.
- Drawing out ideas: Student-generated drawings’ roles in supporting understanding of “light”, Yong Cheng Gan.
- An innovative practice intervention to shift from surface level to deep understanding of interprofessional practice among health care workers in general internal medicine: Challenges and opportunities, Ann Russell.
- Cognitive work analysis and design research: Designing for effective human-technology interactions using handhelds in elementary and middle school literacy support classrooms, Latika Nirula.
- Co-designing a knowledge building activity with secondary school biology teachers, Vanessa Peters & Jim Slotta.
- Socio digital affordances for the enhancement of pre-service teachers’ collaborative reflective practice and knowledge building, Stéphane Allaire.
- Situating knowledge building in the context of alternate theories of knowledge, Don Philip.
- Celebrating the invisible, John Parry.
- Toward a trialogical approach on learning, Kai Hakkarainen.
- Knowledge building and reframed conceptual change: A cross fertilization, Chwee Beng Lee.
- Multimedia CSCL tools and methods from a knowledge building perspective. (Poster). Aleisha Howlett & Dorian Stoilescu.
- Knowledge Forum: A new perspective for a younger audience. (Poster). Fernando Oliveira.
- Utilisation d’un plugiciel d’analyse lexicale pour l’évaluation de la compréhension des concepts en science et en univers social chez les élèves : le cas de l’École éloignée en réseau. (Poster). Stéphane Allaire.
- Distance learning as knowledge building. (Poster). Hamdi Erkunt.
- Learning by collaborative designing. (Poster). Pirita Seitamaa-Hakkarainen.
- Knowledge building practices appropriation through CSCL for school change and development. (Poster). Iolanda Garcia Gonzalez.
- La nature de la troisième note dans le discours de classes en réseau. (Poster). Christine Hamel.
- An analysis of knowledge advancement in Knowledge Society Network. (Poster). Yongcheng Gan.
- Decolonizing cyberspace: One year later. (Poster). Alexander McAuley.
- Ideas first, what’s next? Exploring advances and challenges in creating knowledge building science classrooms in Singapore. (Poster). Katerine Bielaczyc.
- PBL as a strategy for KB based in informatic technology. (Poster). Oscar Hernandez.
- Visualizations for knowledge building. (Poster). Chris Teplovs.